As an artist, the question of what inspires us is asked often. What inspires us to create? What is the reason behind drawing this over that? What motivates us to continue being an artist?
Looking out into the wondrous mountains, Arizona shares a lot of what I’m looking for as inspiration. It’s hard to find the words to describe just how beautiful the nature is out here. Sometimes the thing you’re searching for will appear when you least expect it to. I’m a black and white artist. I use color minimally and never intended to do so otherwise. I was never in search for colors that would leave me in awe like the ones here did. I didn’t even know the feeling existed, but these colors in the mountains became engrained in me. I felt like the world stopped and the colors were soaring around me endlessly. Blues that were so blue and pinks that were so pink… it made me want to paint again.
Nature is often inspiration for artists as it is for me. People are another source of inspiration for my artwork. Everyone I’ve met so far in Arizona is so nice and courteous. A simple smile as you walk by a stranger will turn into a full conversation and next thing you know, you’ve made a friend. They tell stories that show how much history the state is built on. I’m not sure if being called a Sun Child is a compliment, but I’ve been getting it a lot here. I’m sure it is and it’s amazing that everyone keeps the Native American traditions so closely to their hearts.
The people of Arizona are free spirits. They’re relaxed and they go with the flow of things to land wherever it is they may land. I like to pretend I fit in as my art does the same. It takes me to new lands and introduces me to new faces. Whatever the world has in store for me, I follow my art wherever it goes.
It’s a different environment, but it’s been helpful for me to relax and draw. I’ve created new drawings of “Owls” and finished them more quickly than I thought I would. Can you help me think of individual names? Make sure to comment below with your ideas!
Maybe Arizona is onto something with its way of living.
February 14-16: Artigras, FL(ArtiGras Fine Arts Festival)
- March 14-15: Scottsdale, AZ (Scottsdale Arts Festival) ~ Next up!
- March 27-29: Tempe, AZ (Tempe Festival of the Arts)
- April 3-5: Deep Ellum, TX (Deep Ellum Arts Festival)
- April 9-12: Dogwood, GA (79th Annual Atlanta Dogwood Festival)
- April 18-19: Fiesta, TX (Fiesta Arts Fair)
- April 24-26: Atlanta, GA (Inman Park Festival)
- April 29-May 3: West Palm Beach, FL (SunFest) ~ New!
- May 2-3: Bethesda, MD (Bethesda Fine Arts Festival)
- June 6-7: Philadelphia, PA (84th Annual Rittenhouse Square Fine Arts Spring Show)
- June 20-21: Manayunk, PA (26th Annual Manayunk Arts Festival)
- July 10-18: Fort Wayne, IN (Art in the Park Three Rivers Festival) ~ New!
- July 24-26: Seattle, WA (Bellevue Festival of the Arts)